Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Individual Meatloaves

So yesterday I said I would share my Sweet & Sour Meatballs recipe with you today. Well, plans changed! I did something very rare yesterday -- I let my daughter choose what we would have for dinner. I let her choose between meatballs and meatloaf, and she chose meatloaf...and I invented a new recipe! Check it out:

Individual Meatloaves

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 pkg. onion soup mix
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. lean ground beef

Sauce:
3/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard

Combine egg, milk, oats, onion soup mix and salt in a medium bowl. Add ground beef and mix well with your hands.

Form into 7 (or so) individual loaves and place in a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan. Evenly distribute sauce over top of the loaves.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

(They aren't the most appetizing looking things in the world, are they?) Oh well...if my 4 year old will eat them, then they must be good! :)


The great thing about meatloaf is that it is SO easy and forgiving. If you don't have old fashioned oats, you can use quick cooking...no onion soup mix, use regular onions...don't want to use ground beef, use ground turkey...the possibilities are endless! Usually I use ketchup to make the sauce for the top, but I opened my fridge and saw a half used bottle of chili sauce and wondered if that would work...and it did, quite well! I would encourage you to let loose once in awhile when you are cooking...sometimes following a recipe can be so boring. :)

Check out Balancing Beauty & Bedlam for more tasty recipes!

Also be sure to check out a complete list of my Tasty Tuesday recipes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment