Thursday, April 21, 2011

Saving for Seattle - April 21

I'm starting a new weekly feature today...Saving for Seattle! It will chronicle the ways I am attempting to save my family money when my husband and I head to Seattle at the beginning of June.

We are SO excited!

We have been talking about this trip for months, but didn't think it was going to happen because we didn't have anyone to watch our kids. Imagine the delight when my mother-in-law called last week to say that their plans have changed, so they are available to watch the kiddos.

Yippee!

We will be gone for 4 nights, and it will be the first time I am away from Z, and the longest I've been away from L. I'm sure they will do fine...it's me I'm worried about. We haven't flown without kids in about 5 years, so I'm looking forward to the treat of only having to take care of myself, not two monsters!

The first way I managed to save us some money is in regards to our plane tickets. We had originally planned to fly from Chicago, but upon research, discovered that it is cheaper to fly from Omaha, which is close to where my in-laws are. I comparison shopped at the various airline's homepages, as well as at several travel sites and ended up going with United and purchasing on united.com. We have been United Mileage Plus members since 2000, and try to fly with them whenever possible to help accrue miles towards free flights.

In the end, we paid $840 for two tickets from Omaha to Seattle. Saved around $100 by choosing to fly from Omaha.

Next week: Finding a Deal on a Hotel!

No comments:

Post a Comment