Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Chocolate Zucchini Loaf





There is some debate at our house on if this should be called bread or cake. I insist that since it is baked in a bread pan, it should be called bread. Hubby seems to think that since it is chocolate, it is cake. I suppose it doesn't really matter what it is called, because it is SO good. Another great find in my family's cookbook that was compiled for a family reunion a few years ago. I did a double take when I saw it has oil AND margarine in it. Probably not the healthiest bread/cake but I think that having zucchini in it boosts the healthiness factor a tad. :)






Chocolate Zucchini Loaf


1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 1/2 cups flour
4 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:

1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
(I didn't bother with the nuts or brown sugar....just sprinkled a few chocolate chips on each loaf.)

Cream margarine, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream and shredded zucchini. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.

Grease 4 small loaf pans. Pour batter into each pan evenly. Sprinkle topping onto each if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

You can view all of my recipes here!

1 comment: