Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Sweet & Sour Meatballs

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. My mom made it all the time when I was growing up. It is based off of a recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook that she got as a wedding gift almost 30 years ago.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs


Meatballs:


1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I make my own...it's SO easy!)
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1 egg

Combine ingredients in a large bowl.



Mix well with your hands.



Shape into 1-inch balls. (I like meatballs really small...I have a major aversion to raw ground beef, and I like to guarantee that my meatballs will be cooked all the way through!) Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a large frying pan and cook meatballs until they are brown on all sides, approx. 15 minutes. While they are cooking, prepare the sauce.



Sweet & Sour Sauce:



1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 large can pineapple chunks
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 tsp. soy sauce

Combine ingredients, stir and add in cooked meatballs.



Now if your house is anything like my house, the hour between 5 & 6 p.m. is when everything seems to fall apart. That is why when I make this recipe, I usually prepare it in the early afternoon and throw it in my slow cooker on high for 4 hours. If that doesn't work for you, you could put it in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. I usually serve this with warm rice or egg noodles.


Check out more Tasty Tuesday recipes at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.


Also, be sure to check out all of my Tasty Tuesday recipes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment